Terms and Conditions
RULE OF THUMB TERMS OF SERVICE
Throughout this Agreement, we may use certain words or phrases, and it is important that you understand the meaning of them. The list is not all-encompassing and no definition should be considered binding to the point that it renders this Agreement nonsensical:
- “Agreement” means these Terms of Service;
- “Rule of Thumb” refers to our company (including its owners, shareholders, officers and employees), known as “Rule of Thumb, Inc.”; our Site; our Service; or a combination of all or some of the preceding definitions, depending on the context of the word;
- “Service” refers to the services that we provide through our Site, including our SIP and our Site itself;
- “Site” refers to our website, www.ruleofthumb.com;
- “User” refers to administrators, managers, employees, paid and unpaid users of our Site and, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, includes general visitors to our Site;
- “You” refers to you, the person who is governed by this Terms of Service and, if you are using the Site and our Services on behalf of your employer, it also refers to your employer.
3. What Rule of Thumb Offers
Rule of Thumb is a SIP. The Site publishes stories about various public figures and other topics as well as allowing Users to comment on such stories, suggest stories, and otherwise rate and interact with such stories. Subject to this Agreement, all Users may visit this Site and use our Services.
In order to use our Service, you must meet a number of conditions, including but not limited to:
- You must not be in violation of any embargoes, export controls, or other laws of the United States or other countries having jurisdiction over this Agreement, Rule of Thumb, and yourself. For example, if the Office of Foreign Assets Control prohibits conducting financial transactions with nationals, residents, or banks of your country, you must not use our Service.
- You must be the minimum age required to enter into a contract in the area in which you reside, and, in any event, must not be less than 18 years of age, or an emancipated minor, or possess legal parental or guardian consent, and are fully able and competent to enter into the terms, conditions, obligations, affirmations, representations, and warranties set forth in this Agreement, and to abide by and comply with this Agreement. In any case, you affirm that you are over the age of 13, as the Service is not intended for children under 13. If you are under 13 years of age, then please do not use the Service, there are plenty of great websites out there more appropriate to your age.
- You must not sign up on behalf of a natural person other than yourself.
- You must, if signing up on behalf of another person other than a natural person, be authorized by that other person to bind them to this Agreement (such as by being authorized by a corporation), and you agree that you are hereby binding both you and that person to this Agreement and that both of you shall be jointly and severally liable to Rule of Thumb for either party’s actions.
- You must provide us with personal information and other information that we deem necessary to provide you with our Service. At this time we do not require you to provide us with your actual name, but all other information provided must be accurate in order for you to continue to use our Service.
Rule of Thumb’s SIP permits Users to view, rate, suggest and comment on content. Rule of Thumb, however, accepts no liability for any of the content made available or published through its Service or the actions of any of its Users, and you hereby agree to release Rule of Thumb from all liability arising from or relating to your use of our Service.
6. Rules of Use
Certain rules apply to how Users use our Service and what they may post to it. You must not or assist other to:
- Violate the laws of the United States, its states, a municipality or any foreign political entity having jurisdiction over this Agreement, whether or not the foreign political entity is a country or a subdivision (such as a state or province) or municipality (such as a city, town, county, or region) of a foreign country.
- Post or send anything violent, threatening, pornographic, racist, sexist, hateful, or otherwise objectionable according to the opinion of Rule of Thumb.
- Infringe on anyone’s intellectual property rights, defame anyone, impersonate anyone, or otherwise violate the rights of a third party.
- Hack, crack, phish, SQL inject, or otherwise compromise the security or integrity of the Rule of Thumb Site, Service, or its Users’ computers.
- Do anything else which could bring Rule of Thumb into disrepute or subject it to liability or which could violate the rights of any person.
7. License Restrictions
You agree that by using our Service, you are receiving a license to use one copy of our web-based software (commonly known as “SaaS”) in compliance with this Agreement, applicable laws, and any additional terms located on our Site which are hereby incorporated into this Agreement by reference. You must not attempt to reverse engineer, redistribute, resell or derive commercial benefit from our site or or otherwise copy or manipulate our Service. You must not download the media created by other Users on our Site, even if it is for your own private use.
Rule of Thumb may amend or revoke its license to you at any time for any reason without notice or explanation, and we shall not, in any event, be liable to you for any losses suffered as a result of any unanticipated modification or cancellation of our Service. Rule of Thumb will generally attempt to notify you prior to cancelling your access to our Service unless you have breached this Agreement or any applicable law, though we are not obligated to do so.
8. Server Downtime
Our Service may become unavailable from time to time due to security reasons, legal reasons, technical updates, or other reasons. You agree that we are not obligated to inform you of such downtime—even if we are aware that it may occur—or to provide a reason for it, and that you release us from all liability relating to the unavailability of our Service.
9. Our Copyright
Rule of Thumb relies on the uniqueness of its Site and content to distinguish itself from third party competitors. You agree not to copy, distribute, display, disseminate, or otherwise reproduce any of the information on the Site, including content licensed to Rule of Thumb by third parties, without receiving our prior written permission.
10. Your Copyright and Other Rights
Rule of Thumb must be assured that it has the right to use the content that is posted to its Site by its Users or to third party websites via our Services. Such content may include, but is not limited to, photographs, videos, text, audio, and other materials. Whenever submitting or importing content to our website, you agree that you have the right to copy and reproduce such content, and that you are granting us a non-exclusive, universal, perpetual, irrevocable, sublicensable, commercial and non-commercial right to use, distribute, publish, and otherwise make use of the content that you submit to us but solely in connection with operating our Services. You warrant to us that you have the right to grant us this right over the content, including, specifically, the relevant publicity rights to use any images of persons as part of you use of our Services, and that you will indemnify us for any loss resulting from a breach of this warranty and defend us against claims regarding the same.
“Rule of Thumb” and any associated trademarks affiliated with “Rule of Thumb” are trademarks used by us, Rule of Thumb, Inc., to uniquely identify our Site, Service, and business. You agree not to use this phrase or related trademarks anywhere without our prior written consent. Additionally, you agree not to use our trade dress, or copy the look and feel of our website or its design, without our prior written consent. You agree that this paragraph goes beyond the governing law on intellectual property law, and includes prohibitions on any competition that violates the provisions of this paragraph, including starting your own SIP or other service, whether or not it competes directly or indirectly with Rule of Thumb.
12. Revocation of Consent
We may revoke our consent for your use of our intellectual property, or any other permission granted to you under this Agreement, at any time. You agree that if we so request, you must take immediate action to remove any usage of our intellectual property that you may have engaged in, even if it would cause a loss to you.
13. Copyright & Trademark Infringement
We take copyright infringement very seriously, and we have registered a Copyright Agent with the United States Copyright Office, which limits our liability under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. If you believe that your copyright has been infringed, please send us a message which contains:
- Your name.
- The name of the party whose copyright has been infringed, if different from your name.
- The name and description of the work that is being infringed.
- The location on our website of the infringing copy.
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that use of the copyrighted work described above is not authorized by the copyright owner (or by a third party who is legally entitled to do so on behalf of the copyright owner) and is not otherwise permitted by law.
- A statement that you swear, under penalty of perjury, that the information contained in this notification is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or have an exclusive right in law to bring infringement proceedings with respect to its use.
- You must sign this notification electronically and send it to our Copyright Agent at email@example.com.
Although U.S. law does not provide for a similar procedure for trademark infringement, we recommend that you send us similar information to that above in regards to any allegation of trademark infringement, and we will address it as soon as practicable.
14. Communications Decency Act
Similar to the DMCA provisions above, United States law—specifically Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act—creates a defense for us for the actions of third parties in regards to any defamatory content posted on our Site. Although we are not liable for defamatory words posted on or via our website by our Users even if given notice, we do prohibit defamation under this Agreement and we may, if we believe the situation warrants it, take action against the offending User. Please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org if any of our Users have posted anything that you believe is defamatory. Note that administrators and management should, ideally, be the first party you contact in response to any defamation by another User.
15. Representations & Warranties
WE MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES AS TO THE MERCHANTABILITY OF OUR SERVICE OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE. YOU AGREE THAT YOU ARE RELEASING US FROM ANY LIABILITY THAT WE MAY OTHERWISE HAVE TO YOU IN RELATION TO OR ARISING FROM THIS AGREEMENT OR OUR SERVICES, FOR REASONS INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, FAILURE OF OUR SERVICE, NEGLIGENCE, OR ANY OTHER TORT. TO THE EXTENT THAT APPLICABLE LAW RESTRICTS THIS RELEASE OF LIABILITY, YOU AGREE THAT WE ARE ONLY LIABLE TO YOU FOR THE MINIMUM AMOUNT OF DAMAGES THAT THE LAW RESTRICTS OUR LIABILITY TO, IF SUCH A MINIMUM EXISTS.
YOU AGREE THAT WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE IN ANY WAY FOR DAMAGES CAUSED BY THIRD PARTIES WHO MAY USE OUR SERVICES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO PEOPLE WHO COMMIT INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY INFRINGEMENT, DEFAMATION, TORTIOUS INTERFERENCE WITH ECONOMIC RELATIONS, OR ANY OTHER ACTIONABLE CONDUCT TOWARDS YOU.
WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ACTIONS BY AN ADMINISTRATOR, MANAGER, EMPLOYEE, OR OTHER USER WHICH MAY CAUSE HARM TO YOU, EVEN IF WE BECOME AWARE IN ADVANCE THAT SUCH ACTIONS MAY OR WILL OCCUR AND DO NOT NOTIFY YOU.
WE ARE NOT LIABLE FOR ANY FAILURE OF THE GOODS OR SERVICES, INCLUDING ANY INACCURATE INFORMATION PROVIDED BY OUR SERVICE, OUR COMPANY OR A THIRD PARTY, INCLUDING ANY FAILURES OR DISRUPTIONS, UNTIMELY DELIVERY, SCHEDULED OR UNSCHEDULED, INTENTIONAL OR UNINTENTIONAL, ON OUR WEBSITE WHICH PREVENT ACCESS TO OUR WEBSITE TEMPORARILY OR PERMANENTLY.
THE PROVISION OF OUR SERVICE TO YOU IS CONTINGENT ON YOUR AGREEMENT WITH THIS AND ALL OTHER SECTIONS OF THIS AGREEMENT. NOTHING IN THE PROVISIONS OF THIS “REPRESENTATIONS & WARRANTIES” SECTION SHALL BE CONSTRUED TO LIMIT THE GENERALITY OF THE FIRST PARAGRAPH OF THIS SECTION.
For Jurisdictions that do not allow us to limit our liability: Notwithstanding any provision of these Terms, if your jurisdiction has provisions specific to waiver or liability that conflict with the above, then our liability is limited to the narrowest extent possible by law. Specifically, in those jurisdictions not allowed, we do not disclaim liability for: (a) death or personal injury caused by its negligence or that of any of its officers, employees or agents; or (b) fraudulent misrepresentation; or (c) any liability which it is not lawful to exclude either now or in the future.
IF YOU ARE A RESIDENT OF A JURISDICTION THAT REQUIRES A SPECIFIC STATEMENT REGARDING RELEASE THEN THE FOLLOWING APPLIES. FOR EXAMPLE, CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS MUST, AS A CONDITION OF THIS AGREEMENT, WAIVE THE APPLICABILITY OF CALIFORNIA CIVIL CODE SECTION 1542, WHICH STATES, “A GENERAL RELEASE DOES NOT EXTEND TO CLAIMS WHICH THE CREDITOR DOES NOT KNOW OR SUSPECT TO EXIST IN HIS OR HER FAVOR AT THE TIME OF EXECUTING THE RELEASE, WHICH IF KNOWN BY HIM OR HER MUST HAVE MATERIALLY AFFECTED HIS OR HER SETTLEMENT WITH THE DEBTOR." YOU HEREBY WAIVE THIS SECTION OF THE CALIFORNIA CIVIL CODE. YOU HEREBY WAIVE ANY SIMILAR PROVISION IN LAW, REGULATION, OR CODE THAT HAS THE SAME INTENT OR EFFECT AS THE AFOREMENTIONED RELEASE.
You agree to indemnify and hold us harmless for any claims by you or any third party which may arise from or relate to this Agreement or the provision of our service to you, including any damages caused by your use of our Service. You also agree that you have a duty to defend us against such claims and we may require you to pay for an attorney(s) of our choice in such cases. You agree that this indemnity extends to requiring you to pay for our reasonable attorneys’ fees, court costs, and disbursements. In the event of a claim such as one described in this paragraph, we may elect to settle with the party/parties making the claim, and you shall be liable for the damages as though we had proceeded with a trial.
17. Choice of Law
This Agreement shall be governed by the laws in force in the State of New York. The offer and acceptance of this contract are deemed to have occurred in the State of New York.
18. Forum of Dispute
You agree that any dispute arising from or relating to this Agreement will be heard solely by a court of competent jurisdiction in the State of New York. Specifically, where the subject matter of a dispute is eligible for it, you agree that any disputes shall be heard solely within the Civil Court of the City of New York – Small Claims Part (“Small Claims Court”).
If a dispute claims multiple claims and one or more of those claims would be eligible to be heard by the Small Claims Court, you agree not to bring the other claims against us and to instead proceed exclusively within the Small Claims Court.
If you would be entitled in a dispute to an amount exceeding the monetary jurisdiction of the Small Claims Court, you agree to waive your right to collect any damages in excess of the monetary jurisdiction and instead exclusively bring your claim within the Small Claims Court. At the time of drafting this Agreement, the monetary jurisdiction of the Small Claims Court is $5,000.
You agree that if a dispute is eligible to be heard in Small Claims Court but you would be entitled to an additional or alternative remedy in a higher court, such as injunctive relief, you will waive your right to that remedy and still bring the dispute within the Small Claims Court.
If you bring a dispute in a manner other than in accordance with this section, you agree that we may move to have it dismissed, and that you will be responsible for our reasonable attorneys’ fees, court costs, and disbursements in doing so.
You agree that the unsuccessful party in any dispute arising from or relating to this Agreement will be responsible for the reimbursement of the successful party’s reasonable attorneys’ fees, court costs, and disbursements.
19. Force Majeure
You agree that we are not responsible to you for anything that we may otherwise be responsible for, if it is the result of events beyond our control, including, but not limited to, acts of God, war, insurrection, riots, terrorism, crime, labor shortages (including lawful and unlawful strikes), embargoes, postal disruption, communication disruption, unavailability of payment processors, failure or shortage of infrastructure, shortage of materials, or any other event beyond our control.
In the event that a provision of this Agreement is found to be unlawful, conflicting with another provision of the Agreement, or otherwise unenforceable, the Agreement will remain in force as though it had been entered into without that unenforceable provision being included in it.
If two or more provisions of this Agreement are deemed to conflict with each other’s operation, Rule of Thumb shall have the sole right to elect which provision remains in force.
Rule of Thumb reserves all rights afforded to us under this Agreement as well as under the provisions of any applicable law. Our non-enforcement of any particular provision or provisions of this Agreement or any applicable law should not be construed as our waiver of the right to enforce that same provision under the same or different circumstances at any time in the future.
22. Termination & Cancellation
We may terminate your access to our Site and Service at our discretion without explanation, though we will strive to provide a timely explanation in most cases. Our liability for refunding you, if you have paid anything to us, will be limited to the amount you paid for goods or services which have not yet been and will not be delivered, except in cases where the termination or cancellation was due to your breach of this Agreement, in which case you agree that we are not required to provide any refund or other compensation whatsoever.
Under no circumstances, including termination or cancellation of our Service to you, will we be liable for and consequential damages nor for any losses related to actions of other Users.
23. Assignment of Rights
You may not assign your rights and/or obligations under this Agreement to any other party without our prior written consent. We may assign our rights and/or obligations under this Agreement to any other party at our discretion without notice to you.
We may amend this Agreement from time to time. When we amend this Agreement, we will post the changes here and e-mail you to inform you that there has been a change. Your continued use of our Service shall constitute your acceptance of such changes.
25. Corporate Information
Rule of Thumb, Inc. is a corporation formed lawfully in the State of Delaware and conducting its affairs principally in the State of New York.
26. California Users and Residents
Pursuant to California Civil Code Section 1789.3, any questions about pricing, complaints, or inquiries about Rule of Thumb must be addressed to our agent for notice and sent via certified mail to that agent. For our agent’s most current contact information, please send a request to email@example.com.
Lastly, California users are also entitled to the following specific consumer rights notice: The Complaint Assistance Unit of the Division of Consumer Services of the California Department of Consumer Affairs may be contacted in writing at 1625 North Market Blvd., Sacramento, CA 95834, or by telephone at (916) 445-1254 or (800) 952-5210.
Last Modified: September 17, 2015